2007年11月13日 星期二

The Happiest Experience in the First Semester

The Happiest Experience in the First Semester
by Anna Chen (陳芝穎)





In the first semester of my university life, there were good times and bad times. Among them, the happiest and most unforgettable experience was when I won the Freshman Cup of tennis. Being a “professional tennis fan” who always wanted to feel the sweetness of winning, I realized my dream in this semester and also experienced the true spirit of tennis.

In that evening, an unusual wind was blowing. Accompanied by my friend Kim, I walked toward the tennis court with a feeling of excitement. Waiting for the other players to sign in, I wondered how many girls were attending the competition and how good they were. Luckily, there were only three girls attending the game; therefore, each of us had to play two matches to decide the winner. Before the matches, we drew lots to decide the order, and then we waited for the roll which would be called successively.

Among all sports, tennis might be the most individual one because on the court, you have to challenge not only the opponent but yourself. You have to believe and keep the faith in yourself to win the matches. Both physical strength and mental strategy are equally important in this sport.

However, due to the lack of practicing, my legs seemed not belonging to me after twenty minutes. The opponent’s rally was too unpredictable and many times I just watched balls passing by. I gave up in the last few points and lost the opportunity to win the first match. I walked down the tennis court and kept saying to myself, “I can’t keep on playing anymore. How can she play like that? I’m so exhausted.” I used all my strength in the beginning, so the power of my rallies soon burned out in the middle of the match. Forgetting the hundreds of matches and stories I had watched and read, I had only negative thoughts in my mind just because I lost a match. During the break, I asked myself why I joined the competition and why I loved tennis. “Because of the spirit of tennis! Don’t you remember what you always tell me?” asked my friend Kim.

Exactly! How could I forget the spirit of tennis? In tennis, you may lose one match, but you may win the next one, and this is true not only for sports but also for life. No one can always win, and nobody will always lose. Chances keep coming, so all you need is to seize them. It’s all determined by your faith. After a short break, the batteries of my confidence were all recharged. Even though my energy had burned out, my negative thinking was gone, too. I stepped onto the tennis court and fought only against myself. That was the way I became the champion of the Freshman Cup.

I am thankful and grateful for this experience which gave me the opportunity to realize my dream. The process from self-doubt to self-belief proves how confidence can influence a person. After this educational experience, I believe that I can face more difficulties in life.


Keep on Fighting, and Win.

沒有留言: